Not only will 2013 be The Year Of Wine, as previously dubbed, I think it is also going to be The Year of TCB. As in our friend Elvis, Taking Care of Business (in a flash). It’s rapidly advancing on February so I thought I better post up my resolutions for 2013 so I can have something to help guide my year.
Home & Project Related
1. Bedroom — I think I’ve been blogging about the bedroom (yes we have only one in our house) since I started this blog. Time to put a fork in this room. Two walls are currently partially painted. . . must finish . . .
2. Living Room – This room may always be in flux but I have some Danish Daybeds lurking in the god forsaken basement waiting for a chance to see the light of the living room day. Time to make that happen.
(Image above from Mr. Modtomic)
3. Organize this #$$% (AKA the basement) -Really my goal is to touch everything in our house — every knick-knack stored in every closet will be sorted, pondered and eventually donated to Goodwill. This will culminate in a grand cleaning of the basement, where all things go in this house to be stored and then forgotten. This is a big one and is going to take buy-in from the husband (whom I have not yet consulted BTW).
4. Exterior – Also requiring buy-in from JT as a lot of this falls into his domain – he was a part-owner of a landscape business during college. Our yard is sad, sad, sad right now — we have cinch bugs in the front and dog poo covering the back yard so it’s kind of now or never for some yard work and updates.
5. TCB – Here’s where the real TCB kicks in. Window with torn screen – TCB. Door needing sweep – TCB. Hole where doorbell receiver was needing patch and paint – TCB. There’s a lot of little things that need tackling. So by lumping them together and turning them into one “big thing”, I’m planning on tackling most if not all of these items this year.
6. Music – Right now our house is not set up so we can easily listen to music. Which is really quite sad if you ask me, considering I live with a musician. In 2013 I want to make a special effort to make music easy and accessible in our home. My plan has to do with Apple Airports and a new record player set-up, coming soon to a living room near me!
(This is the old layout — soon to be new and improved!)
1. Book Club – One of my goals last year was to read at least one new book per month. I don’t think I quite got there but I read some good ones: The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin, The Pearl by John Steinbeck, Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Also Starting From Happy by Patricia Marx and Bossypants by Tina Fey in the comedy division. So I guess seven out of twelve ain’t bad? I’m trying out a book club in 2013 to keep me reading and engaged with others. Fingers crossed it goes well and there’s not that one annoying person who talks just to talk. Also, I hope that person I just described isn’t me . . . the first meeting is Wednesday so I’ll let you guys know how it goes! (And I recommend all those books listed out above – so good!)
2. Dinner Parties! This didn’t happen in 2012 but it will in 2013. Invitations for the first one have already been sent.
3. Wedding!!!! 2013 is the year of my sister’s wedding. I am the oldest and bossiest of three girls so needless to say I have a lot of bossy-ing to do to get this wedding together. (Total sarcasm. My sister and mother could totally do this but I’m so excited to help in any and every way that I can. That mean’s I have been self-elected president of the Committee for Decorations, Centerpieces and Favors. Watch out world (I mean St. Louis.))
(Their save the date by yours truly.)
4. Invest in Myself — This might be an obvious one but sometimes I find it hard to justify spending money on myself when there are so many other things I would rather spend it on (furniture, vacations, etc.). But I would benefit from some advanced Photoshop and Illustrator classes and things like this could maybe move my career forward a little. So it’s time to give me a chance.
5. Guitar!!! – Okay this was a 2012 resolution. It’s another now or never. First I need to decide what to learn – bass guitar or regular guitar. Any advice/opinions on this one?
6. Music (again) – Organize the digital music library! It’s a mess and we’re going to DJ #3 WEDDING so this is a priority.
So that’s an even 12. . . just to throw things a little off-balance I’m going to add a lucky #13: Studio! I have a little room in the basement and it might be nice if it was a place I could go to work on projects and dream up ideas for this little ol’ blog. What are your 2013 resolutions? Do they involve Elvis?
(For kicks a picture I took when we visited Graceland three or four years ago before this blog was even a twinkle in our eye. Elvis loves blue as much as I do.)
(PS – JT took me to see Memories of Elvis (a tribute/impersonator) and no kidding, this was his Facebook status: “About to watch my wife scream at not-Elvis”. )
(PPS – You guys probably think I am way more obsessed with Elvis than I am. I just have a healthy love for the guy. I mean, he is the king of rock and roll!)